There are a few different nail enhancements you can get from any local nail salon near you. The most popular are Acrylics, Hard Gel, Dip Powder, and so on.
Hard gel is a nail enhancement like acrylic nails, except it cures in a UV light. It is NOT gel polish/shellac/soft gel/soak off gel. You can put gel polish over hard gel (and you should because it looks great). You can extend the length of the nail with hard gels, just like acrylic. It can be sculpted and shaped just like acrylic. The only difference is that hard gel hardens through UV light rather than through evaporating solvents (like acrylic). There are many benefits to using the innovative nail enhancement that is hard gel.
Pros of hard gel manicures:
- Hard gel is the toughest form of gel polish out there and creates a sturdier, longer-lasting exterior.
- Not damaging to the nail if there is trauma.
- No strong fumes.
- Bonder is acid-free.
- Cures in 30 seconds.
- Can be worn with nail polish for a very natural look.
- Filing is faster and easier.
- Hard gel is hypoallergenic, which means it is less likely to cause allergies than acrylic.
Gel polishes are half regular polish, half gel that is brushed onto the nails. When applying gels polish, apply like a regular application – base, polish color, and topcoat. The only difference is that each coat must be cured or hardened under a UV or LED light for up to two minutes.
Pros of gel polish manicures:
- Long lasting, easy to apply, minimal damage and easy to maintain.